Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] OpenMP support
From: Oswin Krause (Oswin.Krause_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-17 18:03:27

Hi,

i agree. There is no need to even think about OpenMP and parallelization
stuff as long as single core implementations of, for example, the dense
matrix-matrix product of MKL can outperform ublas by more than an order of
magnitude.

I don't think that more functions like axpy_prod are the solution. They
undermine the goal of getting rid of the old c-style interfaces.
Unfortunately, i doubt that it is possible to get the faster algorithms
working with the current way of evaluating expressions.

At the moment i would vote for: rewrite ublas such that it makes use of as
much of the numeric bindings as possible with a reasonable fall-back in
the case that no BLAS library is used. This avoids the problem of
implementing the more elaborate algorithms.

In any case, a lot of code using ublas will break.

Just my 2 cents :)

Greetings,
Oswin