Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Fwd: [GSOC2015] uBLAS Matrix Solver Project
From: Nasos Iliopoulos (nasos_i_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-09 11:34:20

This is a good list of potential matrix operations. I would add a sparse
LU decomposition also. For performance optimization on sparse containers
I would suggest to focus on the a couple types in uBlas and not all of
them (at least compressed_matrix). FYI most applications (like FEA for
example) are using sparse matrices with dense vectors and combinations
like sparse matrix/sparse vector are less important.

Two more items you may want to consider:
1. It would really add value to your proposal to include examples or
architectural considerations of how those would integrate with uBlas.
Since uBlas promotes a functional style, the same would be appropriate
for the solvers interface. The simpler the interface the better.

2. Consider implementing parallel implementations using std::thread (or
whatever from C++11 is appropriate).

3. Callback control for larger systems so that the solver can signal its
caller about it's progress, or for other control reasons (i.e. stopping
the solver). This should not interfere with performance and should
probably implemented using some sort of static dispatch so that the user
can choose which version to use ( with or without callback functions).
Please note that those callbacks should probably be implemented using
std::function.

Please take a look at the last years proposals on how to draft yours
because laying down your ideas is as crucial as your intention and
capabilities to implement them.

Regards,
Nasos