From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-19 17:29:38

> Aside: Why do you want to bring pthreads into the mix? I know the two
> threading APIS are Windows and pthreads but still... Couldn't you define
> a new API that would be a thin wrapper for pthreads?

What would be the benefit of coming up with a third API? Would there be any
differences between that API and pthreads, and if not, why not use pthreads
directly?

Besides, N2178 isn't simply based on pthreads (in that case you'd have a
point, why talk about pthreads if it's simply an implementation detail). It
defines a model for interoperability between C++ code (using <thread>) and C
code (using pthreads).

Emil Dotchevski