Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Submodule's readme and logo
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-17 10:33:00

Inkscape?

Would a few lines and an example on the wiki encourage this?.

(Otherwise you may have a job for life!)

> You may just copy any of the SVG, open it in program handling vector graphics like Inkscape or
Adobe
> Ilustrator, remove the library-specific part and you're free to go.
>
> >> Since the final decision should be made by libraries
> >> authors/maintainers I'd like to hear what
> > they think about it.
> >
> > Nice. Discrete. Clear Boost branding.
> >
> > How about a logo for the Boost.Math library? And Boost.Multiprecision?
>
> Do you have some ideas/preferences?
>
> For Math I'd put some symbols like:
> - sum/big sigma

pi and big sigma look sorta mathy? And easy to do.

Or continued fractions (since this features quite a bit in John's implementation)?

See Boost Math Toolkit bmp attached. (I think I may have an svg used to create this somewhere).

> - integral, definite integral or contour integral
> - differential operator or nabla
> - +Bi - plus big beta and imaginary (quaterions, octonions)
> - big gamma/gamma function or zeta funcion (special functions) Or graphics:
> - gaussian bell curve (statistics)
> - other function/curve e.g. erf(z), some polynomial(s) (special functions)
>
> For Multiprecision:
> - a nice simple fraction a/b or x/y, one above the other

Possible but the main feature is loads (and loads) or digits, so perhaps loads of digits?

Paul

PS But are we getting ahead of ourselves here?
Although it is a bit of a bikeshed issue, I think we should start a new thread to get general
agreement on the principle of having a separate customised Boost logo for each library.

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK
+44 1539 561830  07714330204