Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Submodule's readme and logo
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-17 12:05:40

Hi,

Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]
Sorry, I thought it was obvious how to edit vector graphics. I've added
some info in the readme.

<snip>
>>> they think about it.
>>>
>>> Nice. Discrete. Clear Boost branding.
>>>
>>> How about a logo for the Boost.Math library? And Boost.Multiprecision?
>> Do you have some ideas/preferences?
>>
>> For Math I'd put some symbols like:
>> - sum/big sigma
> pi and big sigma look sorta mathy? And easy to do.
>
> Or continued fractions (since this features quite a bit in John's implementation)?
This probably won't fit nicely into the small hexagon.

> See Boost Math Toolkit bmp attached. (I think I may have an svg used to create this somewhere).
>

>> - integral, definite integral or contour integral
>> - differential operator or nabla
>> - +Bi - plus big beta and imaginary (quaterions, octonions)
>> - big gamma/gamma function or zeta funcion (special functions) Or graphics:
>> - gaussian bell curve (statistics)
>> - other function/curve e.g. erf(z), some polynomial(s) (special functions)
>>
>> For Multiprecision:
>> - a nice simple fraction a/b or x/y, one above the other
> Possible but the main feature is loads (and loads) or digits, so perhaps loads of digits?
Loads?

> Paul
>
> PS But are we getting ahead of ourselves here?
> Although it is a bit of a bikeshed issue, I think we should start a new thread to get general
> agreement on the principle of having a separate customised Boost logo for each library.

Yes that's probably a good idea, now when we have something to show to
prove it's possible to make a quite consistent set ;). However the
number of people talking about it in this thread isn't too big and I
assume that it will be the same in different thread. I also suspect that
at the end the libraries authors will do whatever suits them but I hope
that at least some of the logos will be used.

Regards,
Adam