From: Don Waugaman (dpw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-11 00:45:34

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 08:16:47PM -0500, Jeremy Siek wrote:

> For some odd reason, when "\" is used in macros and when boost files
> (which were saved under DOS) are being used under unix, g++ gets really
> confused:
>
> For example, with the current release g++ gives the error:
>
> ../../boost/config.hpp:448: Invalid token in expression
>
> and also hits the same error in cstdint.hpp.

It's a known problem with g++, which under Unix would see the carriage
return between the backslash and linefeed as breaking up the backslash-newline
sequence that the standard defines for line continuation.

> I've removed the backslashes, but it would be good if we all avoided
> using them in the future.

On the plus side, this has been fixed in g++ snapshots for a couple months
now, and should be fixed in the upcoming GCC 3.0 release.

> P.S. This problem doesn't show up for those of us grabbing boost via CVS.

CVS, fortunately, obeys host linefeed conventions.

--
    - Don Waugaman (dpw_at_[hidden])    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food