From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-05 13:07:49

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Siek" <jsiek_at_[hidden]>

> From the developer's point of view, the only thing I don't like about the
> bug tracking system is that I have to open up a web browser and type in my
> answer in a text field. I'd much rather reply via email.

A small inconvenience, I agree.

> Perhaps we could just post bugs to the boost-bugs list and ditch the bug
> tracker? I think this would also avoid the problem Kevin describes of
> having to log in, or not logging in but then having it say "submitted by
> nobody".

Yes, but it leaves us with bigger problems. Bug reports can be forgotten or
ignored. This is especially problematic in a volunteer developer community
where people may not be able to work on the code frequently, much less
respond to mailing-list postings. If you respond directly to users, a record
of the transaction is lost. If you post to the boost-bugs list then the user
must subscribe, but we're trying to make the bug reporting system more
accessible, not less!

-Dve