From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-06 07:22:46

At 07:57 AM 8/3/2001, John Maddock wrote:

>>Would'nt it be a good idea to put in an `#error` in the
>>select_*_config.hpp in case the platform/compiler/stdlib is not
>>recognised ?
>
>I don't think so, the idea is that you shouldn't have to set *any* macros
>for a fully conformant compiler (OK there may exceptions like the thread
>code, but that is an exception rather than the rule), so not detecting
the
>compiler/standard lib/platform is harmless provided that
compiler/standard
>lib/platform is free from defects from the standard.

While your logic is certainly correct, I'm a little worried about the case
where the platform/compiler/stdlib isn't recognized, and does need
configuration.

But I don't know what to do. It seems wrong to make those on compliant
platforms define BOOST_TOTALLY_COMPLIANT or similar.

--Beman