From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-20 14:44:52

possibly off-topic----------- apologies, if so.

Mayhaps the problem here is caused by an unfortunate interpretation by the
Standards Committee to the "Resumption vs. Termination" (Stroustrup "The
Design and Evolution of C++" section 16.6) arguments during the
standardization process. As an example, Stroustrup ("The C++ Programming
Language Third Edition" section 14.4, last paragraph) says: ''The process
of searching "up through the stack" to find a handler for an exception is
commonly called "stack unwinding." As the call stack is unwound, the
destructors for constructed local objects are invoked.''

Bjarne (and apparently the committee (I wasn't there, can't comment
further)) erred in the assumption that "searching up the stack" and
"unwinding (implying destructors being called)" are the same thing, they
are not. Perhaps in their zeal to make C++ exceptions "Termination" rather
than "Resumtion" model they decided that the stack _should_ be "unwound"
before the exception handler is invoked. Of course "unwinding" the stack
makes "resumption" _impossible_ not simply " resumption violates the standard".

In my opinion, this decision hinders effective debugging so badly that it
should be re-considered (If I knew how to write such a suggestion, I would
certainly so do). I have NO argument with the "termination" semantics, I
object to the "destructors being called up the line" until the appropriate
"catch" is found.

Think how _simple_ it would be to provide a "stack trace" if the stack were
still intact!!
Think of how much information would be available to a modern debugger!!
The implementation can't be _that_ difficult, Microsoft's Structured
Exception Handling does it (it has both resume and termination semantics).
The implementation shouldn't be all that much slower either. One simply
puts a new "frame" on the stack for the exception "handler" and "unwinds
the stack" when it returns.