From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-20 14:58:22

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] type<>

> From: "Aleksey Gurtovoy" <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]>
>
> > I believe a class template that "returns" the type of its argument
should
> be
> > called 'identity' :). If it doesn't "return" anything and is just a
"type
> > envelope" (the purpose of current 'boost::type<>'), then IMO it's a
> separate
> > template.
>
> Actually, identity<> is also a fine name for a type envelope: it's used to
> transmit the identity of a type, its parameter... and I'd rather have just
> one template than two.
>
> However, I know there was what seemed like rancorous objection when I
> suggested identity<> before; nobody seemed to get the whole metafunction
> idea, so for the record, I don't care all that much what we call it.

FWIW, I think that identity<> is a good name, and I agree with David that
just providing the metafunction is enough... if you don't 'call it' (access
::type); it's just a type envelope.

Since you *need* to change it, I think it would be reasonable if you just do
it if nobody complains in the next few days.

HTH,

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]