From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 18:31:35

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Woodruff" <Eric.Woodruff_at_[hidden]>
> [Un?]fortunatly, as far as I know, the end user is required to specifiy
the
> exceptions they would like propagated.

Are they? If we agree to this, then the argument that others have made
about library threads terminating is now a complete non-argument... unless
you expect to be able to specify the (theoretically) infinite number of
exceptions that could occur.

But I'm not sure this premise is true. The easiest implementation would be
to convert all unhandled exceptions into a single thread_terminated
exception during propogation (possibly being nice enough to duplicate the
what() results of std::exceptions). Even if we go the extra mile of
providing propogation of specified exception types as-is, we can still
translate all other exception types as thread_terminated, or in this case a
better named unexpected_thread_termination.

Bill Kempf