From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-22 09:06:50

At 05:11 AM 8/21/2002, Toon Knapen wrote:

>I've added the filesystem subproject also to the Jamfile in the
>boost-sandbox root Jamfile (to support recursive builds)

Thanks for taking an interest in this. It helps a lot to have another
developer looking closely at a library, as you, Thomas, and Jeff have been
doing.

>Also, when one not overlays the boost-sandbox and boost, the BOOST_ROOT
>include path only points to the sandbox. And thus the compile fails
because
>it can't find the boost include files. Therefor I would suggest to add
also
>e.g. PROJECT_ROOT to the include path in your Jamfile which would point
>the boost installation (of course it would make more sense to invert
>PROJECT_ROOT and BOOST_ROOT (thus the former pointing to the sandbox
>and the latter to boost), but BOOST_ROOT gets automatically defined as
>being the path
>where your boost-build.jam is located (if I recall correctly). AFAIK the
>current version of bjam normally does not support inclusion of one
project
>into another.

Hum... I'm not quite sure how to respond. The issue in my mind is how much
effort to put into making Jamfiles work well in the sandbox. I haven't
actually been developing in my sandbox working copy, rather I've been
developing and testing in a Boost CVS working copy.

Partially that's because Boost.Filesystem work started before the sandbox
was available, and partially because I've been focused on making sure it
works with the actual Boost CVS. After all, as soon as Boost.Filesystem
passes review (assuming it does pass), all will be moved to the main Boost
hierarchy. The plan, subject to suggestions from others, is to move the
status reporting programs into a new sub-directory, tentatively named
boost-root/tools/status.

As far as the sandbox goes, feel free to modify the Jamfiles to suit your
needs. But I probably won't do anything on them myself for awhile due to
other priorities.

Thanks,

--Beman