From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-22 07:51:44

In a phone conversation Thursday night, I mentioned to Dave Abrahams that
MPL didn't meet our naming guidelines for directories, etc.

Dave said something to the effect it didn't bother him
because "template_metaprogramming" was too long, and "template"..., well,
you get the idea. We then moved on to other topics.

But I'd like to raise the issue with the whole list. Boost is getting
bigger. A primary directory, library, namespace, or header, or other
important name needs to be more explicit than MPL. Acronyms are obscure
and make a library less accessible to new users.

(By "primary" I mean the first name which distinguishes the specific
library in the boost/..., libs/..., boost::, or similar hierarchy.)

I agree with the argument that "template_metaprogramming" is too long.

The alternative should be, IMO, a shorter name, not an acronym. If full
word names can't be found, then abbreviations.

      metaprogram
      metaprog

or similar.

--Beman