From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-22 07:48:01

Fernando Cacciola said:

> Here's a description of my configuration and attempts
> in case someone can help me (hint hint...)
>
> - Windows98
> - cvs95.exe version: 1.11.4
> - WinCVS.exe version: 1.3.8.1 Beta 8 Build 1
> - PuTTY 0.53b
>
> * I have checked out boost this morning on a local working
> directory using pserver (user) access.
>
> * I have generated and uploaded SSH2 Authentification keys.

It can take several hours for these to take effect.

> * I have copied the optional files to my local repository (CVS HOME)
>
> ----------
> Attempt 1:
> ==========
>
> If I run putty.exe with pageant running with the key loaded,
> and configured as:
>
> Host Name: cvs.boost.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/boost
> Protocol: SSH2 (Port 22)
> Autologin: fcacciola (which is my SourceForge User ID)
>
> and click on 'Open', I'm asked for the password.
> If I enter my SourceForge account password, I get a message saying
> something like:
>
> "welcome to SurceForge.net. This is a restricted shell.
> You cannot execute anything here."
>
> And the conncetion is automatically closed.
> So PuTTY is a dead end...

No, it's not. This is to be expected. Once the keys you uploaded to
sourceforge take effect, you'll no longer be asked for a password, but
you'll still be ejected after a successful connect.

> Attempt 3:
> ==========
>
> In a DOS box:
>
> plink.exe cvs.boost.sourceforge.net -l fcacciola -pw <pass>
> cvs -d:ext:fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost -z3 add
> optional.hpp
>
> after a few seconds I'm stuck there: there is no output but plink.exe
> keeps running...

On the DOS prompt make sure you have your PATH configured to find cvs.exe
(installed by WinCVS). Try checking out the boost CVS repository using
the "ext SSH" protocol by doing the following:

c:> set CVS_RSH=plink
c:> set PLINK_PROTOCOL=ssh
c:> set CVSROOT=:ext:fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost
c:> cvs -z3 co boost

Here's a fairly good document on all of this:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/Komodo/komodo-doc-scc.html.

Another solution would be to use Cygwin instead, which enables you to use
the better documented "Unix" documentation for sourceforge access.

William E. Kempf
wekempf_at_[hidden]