From: Chuck Messenger (chuckm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-21 14:43:58

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> The formal review of Vladimir Prus' Command Line & Config
> ("program_options") library starts today, May 21, and will continue until
> Monday, June 2nd. I will be serving as review manager.

I've tried out the program_options some -- tried using it in place of my
own library in a few of my programs. I made extensive comments, having
read only the introductory section, and studied the sample code.
Consider this a test-run for a lazy-ish typical user. Later, I may
study the main documentation -- it may be awhile, so I thought I'd dish
off what I had.

So as not to spam the list, I've placed my comments in the Boost Wiki --
see
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Program_Options_Library_Pages

One-line summaries of my suggestions:

* Library-managed default values
* parse_command_line() should accept "char **av"
* add_options() should be able to parse arguments (also, %args%)
* Adaptive formatting (first field width)
* program_name() and %progname%
* Unified exception class
* Show sample program output
* Put add_options() ascii args first
* Mandatory options
* Optional "option present" parameter to add_options()
* add_options() should use references rather than pointers
* User exception
* Remove unnecessary template parameters
* Explain role of "+" in add_options()

I plan to explore the config file capabilities eventually -- haven't
looked at them yet.

With the right improvements, I think the library would make a valuable
addition to Boost, and should be accepted.

    - Chuck Messenger