From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-08 17:13:46

I think this would be excellent (and overdue). It needs to support double and
long double (and facilitate UDTs too if possible).

There is also the matter of signalling and quiet NaN. Although signalling NaN
may cause an hardware exception if enabled, I suspect it is more useful if isnan
returns ture for both types of NaN. At least we should make this clear. I
think this is what MSVC 7.1 does but the documentation is thin.

There is also a single IEEE FP pattern called 'indeterminate' or what Intel call
'NotAVal" (ox1fffe000...) which might become useful as a Portable Standard
"missing value" marker if portably supported?

And can anyone help with allowing one to easily customise the display of NaNs?
(and infs, max, min...?) I believe that a new (derived) num_put facet is the way
to do this. Does anyone have an actual implementation of this to contribute
too?

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
Mobile mailto:pabristow_at_[hidden]
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]