From: AlisdairM (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-09 05:45:33

Daniel Frey <daniel.frey_at_[hidden]> wrote in news:btluer$hg8$1
@sea.gmane.org:

> FWIW, I like the release-frequency as it is. Few but well tested
> releases are what users need, see GCC or XFree86. "Release early,
> release often" is only good in the beginning, but there is another
> mantra: "Release when it's ready for release - not when your marketing
> department wants to".

Agreed, but current release system seems a little random, with a release
when we feel it has been long enough since the last one, and enough
changes/new libraries have accumulated.

It might be nice to have a provisional release schedule, targetting a
release or two in advance. Not so much a commitment to a release date, but
a target for when we will be looking to branch for release and do the
serious release testing. It gives people something to focus on if they aer
thinking of pushing some work (eg. patch for a library broken on their
favourite compiler) and gives people an idea of when to hold over
committing potentially distruptive changes if we are a couple of weeks away
from a new release branch (hopefully bringing the work forward, but if not
still eases the release)

AlisdairM