From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-04 14:23:11

At 12:34 PM 2/4/2004, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:

>--- Kevin Wheatley <hxpro_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> IRIX 'sh' doesn't like scripts with non UNIX line endings! (extracted
>> from the tar.gz, although RC2 the zip file also has the same issue)
>
>I assume you are using the tar file that I made yesterday. To be
minimally
>intrusive I didn't change the line endings from DOS to UNIX format. I
just
>wanted to help UNIX users who don't have unzip to get started. IIUC Beman

>will convert the line endings to UNIX format when making the tar file for
>the final release...

Yes. In the future perhaps we should put up release candidates with both
line endings.

The reason I'm hesitant to do that is simply that I only have an ISDN
Internet connection, so those big downloads and uploads are a trial.

It is getting more and more frustrating. The phone company has actually
installed DSL in the central office and run fiber to near my home/office,
but for unfathomable reasons isn't providing DSL service to my
neighborhood. A phone company employee stopped by the other day to tell me
how wonderful his DSL service was - he lives on the other side of town and
got it at his house last fall. I'm surprised I didn't strangle him.

Anyhow, the release candidate experiment seems to have been a success, so
we will expand it to UNIX-style line endings next time around.

--Beman