From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-18 11:38:45

> 1) Hard-coded paths should be avoided.
>Example: test_exported project contains path
>c:/boost/lib/libboost_test_exec_monitor-vc71-sgd.lib.
>Instead it should contain:
>"$(ProjectDir)../../../bin/boost/libs/test/build/libboost_test_exec_monitor
.
>lib/vc7.1/$(OutDir)/runtime-link-static/libboost_test_exec_monitor-vc71-sgd
-
>1_32.lib"

>2) Notice quotes around the new path above. It is recommended to use quotes
>for paths that may contain spaces. For example if ProjectDir variable was
>C:\My Tests you will get confusing build error message.

>The above applies to many other serialization test projects.

I've struggled with this on and off.

On one hand ,I like to use the VC IDE and for that I need the test projects
- 50 of them !

On the other hand, I like bjam also for buiding testing everything in batch
mode for all the compiler combinations I use.

So my main problem is having it both ways. The IDE "likes" to place to the
intermediate objects, libraries, etc in certain places in the directory tree
while bjam "likes" to put them in an entirely different place. What I would
like is to have the VC IDE projects setup so that they use the same places
as bjam. Without this I end up with two copies of intermediate objects in
different places and this can sometimes create confusion which wastes a lot
of time. However, implementing this has a couple of issues.

a) it's a pain to setup up 50 the vc projects to use the bjam locations. .
I've changed the type of build, threading, use dll vs static lib, etc a
couple of times and it's a huge pain each time.
b) it requires that bjam already have been run once in order to create the
required directories

>If anybody wants me, I'll be more than happy to test and suggest fixes for
>MSVC builds, versions 6,7.1 or 8.0 Express. IOW, so much I dislike bjam.

If you want to fix up the whole set of projects for vc 7.1 and vc 6 ide
consistent with the above I would be appreciative. Let me know if you want
to do this and I'll send you my most recent copies. Then you can send it
back and I can test it and check it in.

>Nothing specific for bjam, though: there is not a single cross-platform
>build tool that I liked, like or will ever like.

LOL - Build systems and issues in general drive me crazy. So do variations
in compiler function re arcane corners of C++. So does rap music.

Robert Ramey