From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-23 11:30:44

Martin Wille wrote:

> Sorry to disappoint you. I didn't follow the thread (like
> I ignore all of the design discussion) but accidently I
> clicked on the link. I *immediately* associated the s in the
> logo with the swastika symbol as used by the Nazis.
>
> Neo-Nazis in Germany and elsewhere produce a lot of symbols
> that resemble the "original"[*] Nazi symbol more or less
> directly; this includes softening the edges or reducing
> the number of arms in the symbol by 1 or 2.

I wouldn't like to start a discussion about Nazi symbols here but IMO
it's actually very difficult to predict which associations someone has.
If you want to avoid them at all, you probably have to avoid any
highlighting of the letter 's'!

I can't say where the boundary of good taste is; see e.g. the sign of
our urban train in Vienna: http://www.schnellbahn-wien.at

and - last but not least - believe me, I sometimes run into troubles,
too, when I use my initials ;)

Stefan