From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-13 17:12:58

Daniel James wrote:
> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>> It's not that I don't see the benefit of lower complexity; I don't
>> really see the lower complexity. ;-)
>
> Simon Tatham provides a nice motivation for this kind of thing at:
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/coroutines.html
>
> Here's a rough (untested) translation of his run-length decoding
> example:
>
> void decompress(std::istream& in, std::ostream& out)
> {
> char c;
> while(in.get(c))
> {
> if(c == 0xFF) {
> int len = in.get();
> if(!in || !in.get(c)) // Return an error.
> while(len--) out.put(c);
> }
> else {
> out.put(c);
> }
> }
> }
>
> And as a filter:
>
> struct toupper_filter : input_filter {
> int repeat_char;
> int repeat_length;
>
> toupper_filter() : repeat_char(0), repeat_length(0) {}
>
> template<typename Source>
> int get(Source& src)
> {
> if(repeat_length > 0) {
> repeat_length--;
> return repeat_char;
> }
> else {
> char c = boost::io::get(src);
> if(c == 0xFF) {
> repeat_length = boost::io::get(src);
> repeat_char = boost::io::get(src);
> repeat_length--;
> return repeat_char;
> }
> else {
> return c;
> }
> }
> }
> };
>
> And that's a fairly simple example. (Sorry if you have a better way to
> do this, I haven't really looked at the library).

Nice example! That's the type of evidence I was hoping Christopher would
produce. Refering to one of my old messages, which doesn't seem to be archived
yet, you have written a filter in form [B] (using streams as function
arguments). I think [C] (using Sources and Sinks) would be sufficient here. So
I'm leaning toward allowing filters along the lines of [C].

I guess I should mention that this was first suggested by Rob Stewart in a
private email during the iostreams review:

<email>

Jonathan turkanis wrote:
> Rob Stewart wrote:
> >Can we simplify all of this to the following?
> >
> > template <typename Source, typename Sink>
> > unspecified-status-indicator
> > filter(Source & in, Sink & out);
> >
> > IOW, if the framework provided both the source and the sink, the
> > call to filter() would cause data to flow from in to out.
> > Whether the data flow is input or output for the entire stream
> > doesn't matter. The filter just knows its own source and sink.
> >
> > The source and sink could even be objects in your library that
> > wrap a Device and hook into the framework mechanisms to move data
> > along, if you need to intervene in any way. That's particularly
> > useful for async I/O.

> I've thought of this too, and I like it. This could be called a
CoprocessFilter.

</email>

> Daniel James wrote:
> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>> Your version requires that an entire stream
>> of data be processed at once -- leading to poor memory use -- and
>> doesn't work at all for streams which have no natural end.
>
> Not necessarily, he could use threads or fibres with pipes, although
> that's quite expensive. That's why I was playing around with using a
> Duff's Device style switch statement for implementing coroutines.

I think I already answered this. Standard input streams don't have a way to
indicate that input is temporarily unavailable. Therefore if the producer and
consumer are operating in separate threads and the consumer gets ahead of the
producer, a false EOF will be detected.

Version [C] will not suffer from this problem, because the final version of the
filter and device concepts will provide a way to distinguish EOF from EAGAIN.
Unfortunately, there's no way to retrofit this onto the standard streams or
stream buffers, since they do not recognize this distinction.

> Daniel

Jonathan