From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-04 23:36:13

This line of argument is getting a little silly but...

Jeff Garland wrote:
> I was just using myself as an example and stating my preference. I didn't
> really want to start a research war here, but if you want to go that way see:
> Designing Web Usability, Jakob Nielson p 174. Key quotes under the topic How
> Wide Should the Page Be: "you shouldn't design for any standard width...Users
> who have large screens should be allowed to benefit from their investment".

Benefits come in different forms. As Dave pointed out having a "larger"
monitor has the benefit of allowing you to place multiple narrower
windows side by side. Which is something I do as I have large, 20in and
21in 1600x1200 dual monitors. So I don't see how the current constrained
design prevents you from getting benefit.

> It's not just about me and my big monitor, it's about the small monitors and
> resolutions too.

How is it about small monitors and resolutions? Because you might have
to scroll left and right? The design can be fixed to allow for that.

> This issue is much more complex than a single study.

Yes it is and I think there was a previous post which quoted this summary:

http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/nov02.asp
Past Issues - UI Design Newsletter

> Nielson
> is an acknowledged expert in usability and web design.

But he is only one expert, as you said it's more complex than a single
study. Hence by extension it must be more complex than one persons study.

> I'm sure he is fully
> aware of the research you cite. Take a gandor at his site
> http://www.useit.com/. Tell me what you find regarding resizeability and use
> of space.

I find that his front page is split into two narrow columns.

> Look at an article on the site:
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20031110.html
>
> Note that the lines take the entire width of the browser. Also note most
> violated home page guideline #2:
>
> "2. Use a liquid layout that lets users adjust the homepage size
> Compliance rate: 28%
> Guideline number in Homepage Usability book: 67
>
> Fighting frozen layouts seems a lost battle, but it's worth repeating:
> different users have different monitor sizes. People with big monitors
> want to be able to resize their browsers to view multiple windows
> simultaneously. You can't assume that everyone's window width is
> 800 pixels: it's too much for some users and too little for others. "

That is an argument which does not apply to my design. I do not assume
any particular pixel size! I only assume that 10 to 12 words per line is
the most pleasing line length. That is what centuries of research and
experimentation have shown.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything