From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 10:04:25

Comeau Computing wrote:
> At 11:09 AM 4/26/2005 +0100, Bronek Kozicki wrote:
>> ....Como compiler (current version) does not
>> support DLLs, and this is what makes Boost.Thread inacessible to como
>> toolset. I have a reason to believe that next version of como
>> compiler (due soon) will support DLLs.
>
> Yes, there's a few kind of catch-22 situations going on. In short,
> yes, we've finally(!) begun official support of Windows programming
> and some minimal support has been added for use with VC++ as a
> backend, but does not yet include support of DLLs. Whether that can
> get into the next release or not is still up in the air. Existing
> licensees can get an alpha version of what is currently available. The
> plan is: minimal support, then full support incl DLLs, then some
> still to be determined special strict mode / Windows mode combo, then
> said for as many additional backends as possible/makes sense.

For shared_ptr in particular, I'd appreciate if "minimal support" includes
recognizing __stdcall (and optionally __declspec(dllimport) but I think that
this is not required) in strict mode so that it can import
InterlockedIncrement and friends from the Windows kernel. Another
alternative would be to pass the _InterlockedIncrement intrinsic to the
underlying VC++ backend as-is, if possible.