From: AlisdairM (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-30 16:45:48

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

> Didn't we decide to drop ancient compilers?

Not yet, but we never officially defined what it means to support a
compiler either.

There is certainly a growing feeling their time has come, but no
definitive list yet.

I have proposed deprecating MSVC6 and GCC2.95.3 in this release (1.34)
so that users at least get some notice they are vanishing. I would
then hope the compiler config would still detect these compilers, and
#error with a message saying Boost 1.34 was the last supported version,
so anyone trying to use them at least knows which old version of Boost
to retrieve (and likewise, I recommend this for any formal deprecation
policy we finally adopt)

I am still waiting for the bun-fight over Borland support - as my
employer relies on this compiler still and I am hard at work in my
evenings working on a setup of updated workarounds for the new compiler
released last month.

--
AlisdairM