From: Andy Tompkins (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-01 11:53:04

Marc Viala <mviala <at> acticm.com> writes:

< snip >

> Hi Andy,
>
> I'm sorry to be quite < pushy > but are you making some progress on the
> next release of you proposal of guid class?

I have been almost ready to put a new version in the boost vault for awhile
now, but I have been having a bit of a problem with bjam (only because I don't
know it very well). I have put a new version in the boost vault anyway. It
has all the changes that have beed talked about and a platform independent
create() function (relies on random and date_time from boost), but it is not
thread safe yet. The code to make it thread safe is just commented out until I
can get bjam to link with the threads library (maybe you can give me a hand?).

> The functionalities of your proposal are really present in our current
> project development and I would like to know when you plan to publish
> your next release.
>
> By the way, do you have a look on my previous email 22/02?

I did look at your previous post. I should have replied earlier. I added a
function called byte_count() (unless you can think of a better name) that will
allow one to preallocate the output buffer, as follows.

boost::guid id;
std::vector<char> bytes(id.byte_count());
id.output_bytes(bytes.begin());

> Best regards,
>
> Marc Viala

Thanks again for your interest and feedback, it has already made it a better
library.

Andy.