From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-18 22:26:57

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On 4/16/06, Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Jeff Garland wrote:
>>> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:40:07 +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote

>>> Personally I'm thinking I would be smart not to take on another project. I
>>> have a cronic habit of getting over-booked (is there a 12 step program for
>>> this problem ;-)
>> Yes, but by the 6th step you can't afford to pay the assistants ;-)
>>
>>> -- anyway, I'm hoping we will be able to support a number
>>> of projects. Actually, I'm a little suprised there hasn't been more response
>>> to your post. I'm starting a discussion amoungst the moderators about how we
>>> want to organize to take this on.
>> I'm putting together a list of Boost.Build related projects that I would
>> be willing to mentor. So if you want you can include me in that
>> discussion :-)
>
> Is this list what somebody (you?) put in the wiki? It'd be
> interesting to see who
> is available to mentor each item.

I think you figured the answer to that one by now ;-) But I
provisionally listed myself on those two as the mentor. The
administrator has the final say on that though :-)

> Anyway, the "Configure" Boost.Build project caught my eye. Which could be
> the requirements for such a tool?

I also added a few requirements to that one item. I'll expand the other
one a bit later.

> I expect it'd need to run natively under
> Windows and Unix-based systems, right? Which language would it need to be
> written in?

It's Boost.Build, so you'd have to read up on what I mean by that :-)
Short answer it's the Jam interpreted language which is natively
compiled cross-platform interpreter program with possible hooks into Python.

> Maybe C++ is the obvious answer, but then there is a
> "bootstrapping" problem (you might need to configure the tool to build the
> tool successfully).

Boost.Jam already knows how to bootstrap itself. Boost.Jam would play
the role that Bourne SH plus M4 play in Autoconf.

> Just saying this because it'd be good to have as much
> details as possible for each proposed project.

Of course. It just takes time to add those details :-) And eventually
they have to be added to the Google management website for SoC.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything