From: Marcin Kalicinski (kalita_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-21 18:44:11

> Make up you mind finally. What is your library?
>
> 1. Runtime parameter facility
> 2. Permanent storage facility
> 3. XML parser

I'm afraid it is all 3, plus some more. By "some more" I mean it has more
parsers than just XML, and it can also be used to manipulate hierarchical,
human readable data structures at runtime.

> Each task has different tasks and priorities. If it (1) and (2) it doesn't
> need any fast lookup. If it's (3) - I wouldn't recommend DOM based parsers
> in this case anyway - Your logN lookup may not be fast enough anyway. What
> if I want some hash instead?

If log(n) is not enough you can use SQL Server. But I doubt you will want
to, if only thing you need to know is what is the startup position of main
application window.

If fast lookup is a problem for many people, it can be made optional, or
customizable. But (I have already presented my view on that matter somewhere
in that thread but cannot find it now), in my opinion having log(n) lookup
is a reasonable default, which adheres to the least surprise principle.

Best regards,
Marcin