From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-03 15:39:37

[folowups to testing]

Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The following libraries show fails across almost all platforms in the
>>> 1.34 regression tests
>>>
>>> concept_check
>>> io
>>> mpl
>>> ptr_container
>>> python
>>> wave
>>>
>>> I would be thankful for a short update on the reason and plans for
>>> mitigation.
>>
>> As far as I can tell from
>> http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost-regression/CVS-RC_1_34_0/developer/python.html
>> the Python failures are all due to configuration problems on the part
>> of the tester, or bugs in BBv2 -- they just have that smell about
>> them.
>
> Could you work with the testers to solve this issue?

I'll give it a shot. what about it, people?

Doug and Volodya: http://tinyurl.com/qwz7n and
http://tinyurl.com/nv8by seem to indicate that the Python libraries
aren't in the regular paths. Is that correct? In principle that
should be okay; it's an indication that BBv2 isn't correctly
propagating all the library's usage requirements to the executable.
But your runs with earlier GCC versions are all working, which seems
to indicate some other kind of problem. I'm without a clue here.

Martin: I get lots of "page not found!" results for your Python
failures. Do you have any insight into what causes that?

COMSOFT (whoever you are): I have no clue about the linker failures
for GCC. They appear to be saying that the file it's trying to creat
can't be found. Is it possible to build shared libs on this compiler
at all? The HP compiler failures all appear to be due to an inability
to handle its own standard library. Do you get _anything_ to compile
with that compiler? Hmm, apparently you do. I'm at a loss. Maybe
Python is causing a redefinition of fpos_t? Are we somehow running
into this problem?
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2005-November/030900.html

Aleksey and Volodya: it's hard to imagine what could cause these
vc-6.5 failures, since they worked elsewhere. Okay, here's one weird
possibility: I note there's no call to vcvars32.bat. Maybe "cl"
doesn't refer to vc-6 in the PATH. I suggest fixing the configuration
so that vcvars32.bat gets called. I'm actually surprised it's getting
missed. Volodya, can you explain why?

I don't know why any failures are showing up for Borland. Isn't this
library marked unusable for Borland?

Stefan and Volodya, the one failure here looks like the same problem
Doug is seeing.

> So here is a question for the test list. Where does the asterix come
> from and how do we fix it?

Agreed. Anyone?

--
Dave Abrahams