From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-24 10:47:40

Anthony Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just started on a project which is Windows CE based, using Microsoft
> Embedded Visual C++ V3 and V4, and I'm having trouble using boost. There are
> several #defines in the code that cover Windows CE (e.g. BOOST_NO_ANSI_APIS),
> so somebody must be using boost successfully.

I've used but only some of Boost libraries like smart pointers, any, and
other small stuff, with eVC++ 4.0 and Visual C++ 8.0

> So, my first question is: what compiler(s) are people using for Windows CE?

I used to use eVC++ 3.0 for ~1 year, next I was glad to
move to eVC++ 4.0.
Finally, I'm extremely happy and my psyche is healthier
after I moved to Visual C++ 8.0 :-)

Certainly, selection of toolset depends on a) target platform and b)
budget becasue Visual C++ 8.0 is not free.

Here you can find a nice matrix presenting what Windows CE-based
systems are supported by what tools:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/06/02/424382.aspx

Generally, if you are able to drop eVC++ line, do it as fast
as you can.

> Secondly, though these compilers are pretty similar to MSVC6 in terms of
> direct C++ language support,

eVC++ 3.0 and 4.0 are just Visual C++ 6.0, so these are considered
as the same compiler in terms of C++ support - *weak support*

> they are further hampered by the lack of
> exceptions and RTTI for the Windows CE targets needed for my project, and by
> the lack of a decent Standard Library.

You can install RTTI patch for Windows CE 4.x platform:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;830482

> I've managed to overcome the latter by
> using STLPort 5.1, but much of boost is still not usable due to the lack of
> exceptions and RTTI --- I can't even use simple stuff like lexical_cast! Am I
> the only one in this boat, or has anyone got any recommendations?

Try the patch above and check if it helps.

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net