From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-08 11:43:58

Shibu Bera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After creating the shared memory I put three containers (boost::multi_index,
> std::map and std::vector) into the shared memory, then objects into the
> containers. But in later part of the execution, there are condition when I
> need to remove these elements and containers. I also don't want to eat up
> the primary memory by creating the saparate shared memory nor I want to
> remove the earlier shared memory. If I just destroy the containers the
> previous garbage data may create problem. So I want such method or way to
> memset the shared memory with NULL characters. This information should
> suffice the query, Can I get some clue now?

Which type of problems, security problems? Or do you base your program
on the value the memory you allocate has before using it? If your
destroy the containers and after that you create new ones, I think you
shouldn't have problems. If for any reason, (security or whatever) you
need to guarantee that all free memory (memory that does not contain any
object in the segment) is zeroed before being reused, I would need to
add new functionality to the library, because this is not currently
possible: the memory allocation algorithm should have a function that
traverses all the free memory segments and memsets them.

These days I will be busy with the Intrusive review, so you would need
to wait until the end of the month to get this functionality.

Regards,

Ion