From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-24 21:59:27

Rene Rivera wrote:

>>> ReST nor DocBook are any more standard than Quickbook, AFAIK.
>> By what metric ? I'm not talking about ISO, ECMA, or other standardization
>> bodies.
>
> I was; to indirectly make the point that standards start out not being
> standard ;-)

That's a fair point.

>> I'm talking about widespread use, a vibrant developer community that
>> is quick to help or fix bugs, and everything else that makes such tools
>> healthy.
>
> Then why use the word "standard"? And why try and squelch attempts to
> build such a community?

Because, as others have phrased it, this is not (or at least, shouldn't be)
boost.org's business.

Nothing speaks against trying to develop new languages, infrastructure bits,
etc. However, with all due appreciation for perfectionism, it is a very
common mistake to ignore or underestimate the importance of well established
know-how. It's really a sad story.

Regards,
                Stefan