From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-22 12:18:14

On 10/22/07, Jeremy Pack <rostovpack_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> You'll always see pushback against GUI libraries.
>
> Java's GUI libraries, though flawed, are better than anything in C++.
>
> I agree with Bjørn, just make your decisions. No committee. Then see if
> anyone likes it.

I have redesigned lots of things I putted in the email already.

> It's way to easy to over-design something like this. I imagine the only way
> it would really work out well is if one lead programmer made all of the hard
> decisions, and had about 5 different experienced UI or library programmers
> implementing the innards.

I'm afraid I may have done that already. But I have some concerns
about ODR and using the GUI library by other libraries linked to the
same program. And that forced me some design decisions. I also liked
the "plug-in" method I used for low-level implementations.

> Oh, and in your code, you may want to consider allowing the programmer to
> just define, say, a BOOST_GUI_WIN32 macro, instead of passing around Win32
> and GTK objects - as I think you were doing in the samples.

I didn't document, but there should be a "default" driver. On windows
it would be win32, it could also be configurable with preprocessor
(though not yet implemented, but *very easy* to do). Passing win32 and
gtk objects just override the default.

> Good luck.

Thanks!

--