Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Introduction and questions
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 19:44:34

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:44:17 +0100, Felipe Tanus <fotanus_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hi Felipe,

> [...] My plans include some good interface to the user in aspects
> like
> access other process from the computer with signals, and search processes
> that are currently running. For this, I should read about the process

I recommend to read the overview at http://www.highscore.de/cpp/process/
if you haven't yet (that's the big picture; that's where development
stopped last year; there are also many open questions listed). I also
recommend to read these threads:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/188736
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/180284
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/180720
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/180277

You might find more relevant threads on the mailing lists if you search
for Boost.Process. That way you get a complete overview about the
problems. :)

> [...]architecture in both platforms to see what can be done, and what is
> impossible. With this I also could find some common points in both
> architectures to bring to the boos.process. That is the kind of material
> I'm
> looking for. If someone can point me out something to read about this,
> would
> be nice.
>
> The APIs are well documented on man and MSDN, so I'm not really
> worried about this part.

I'm afraid there is not much more than MSDN and man pages. At least I'm
not aware of any documentation which explains those similarities and
differences we are interested in. What might help though is studying the
Java and .NET API. Sun and Microsoft must have gone this way before (at
least partly).

Boris