Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Daniel Pfeifer (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-02 15:31:41

Am Donnerstag, den 02.09.2010, 11:07 -0700 schrieb Cory Nelson:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Daniel Pfeifer <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 02.09.2010, 10:14 -0400 schrieb Edward Diener:
> >> ... I personally would
> >> prefer a modern C++ GUI based around Boost and any other modern C++
> >> libraries as well as the constructs soon to be incorporated in the next
> >> C++ standard.
> >
> > Who would not?
> >
> > If Boost had such a library, would anyone around here even consider
> > using wxWidgets or Qt? Probably not?
> >
> > I think then anyone should agree that such a library could be useful to
> > have in Boost.
> >
> > Whether it is worth the effort to create such a library is a completely
> > different question.
> >

> Looking at the latest advancements in UI like Microsoft WPF, I think
> it would definitely be worth the effort to bring a modern UI framework
> to C++. We could do _so much better_ than wxWidgets, Qt, and GTK. I
> think a better question is: could enough people agree on its design?

That depends on your definition of 'enough'.

Don't expect the whole Boost community to develop a GUI library
together. Most Boost libraries have one to three authors. Qt was
designed by two developers. This seems to be the perfect size for a team
to agree on design.

Once there is a good design and maybe a prototype, finding more
developers should be a minor problem.

cheers, Daniel