Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like in the future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-20 00:16:45

On 01/19/2011 09:52 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> ... elision by patrick ...
>
> I'm not sure that I do, either. Nevertheless, people at the Unicode
> consortium have been working on that for... 20 years now? What
> technical obstacle that currently blocks their progress do you foresee
> disappearing in the future? Occam says that variable width characters
> are simply a better match for the problem domain, even when character
> width in bits is not a problem.
You lost me with the last line. I'm thinking you're talking about
Occam's razor which says that we should prefer simpler explanations for
things except when a more complicate explanation does a better job of
explaining the facts. I'm completely lost about how that would apply to
choosing a variable width encoding over a fixed width encoding.

Patrick