Subject: Re: [boost] GSOC: concept_traits
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-19 04:53:26

Andrew Sutton-3 wrote:

>> Now that we will have operator traits with the reviewed library and
>> member
>> traits macros with Boost.TTI, it left just to define the traits for the
>> concepts/requirements of standard library and why not some boost
>> libraries.
>> This would completely resurrect the abandoned ConceptTraits library.
>
> I think it's probably a worthwhile project. It would be interesting to
> see what kind of proposals we'd get for a project like this. I'm not
> entirely sure what the scope or difficulty of this project would be.

My experience is that simple things are not always as simple as we thought.
* Making it portable adds always a lot of issues.
* Finding the correct names and interface is not an easy task as the
TypeTraits operators review probes.

Should I add a summary to the list of ideas?

Applying these concept checks within a library is also not without
(potentially high) risk. If the concept checks aren't right, you could
end up breaking code.

Yes, you are right. The ConceptTraits should provide just the traits for the
requirements. Up to the library author to use them later.

Best,
Vicente