Subject: Re: [boost] [Unicode] Library info
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-20 11:33:55

> From: Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]>

> On 05/19/2011 09:07 AM, Artyom Beilis wrote:
>
> > Is these links represent the latest state of the
> > library and the documentation?
>
> Yes, though it hasn't been modified in a while.

I see.

> > Are there plans to provide more features in the future?
> > If so when?
>
> Yes, I think there is still a lot of room for improvement.
> It definitely needs more tests for example.

I wasn't talking about the infrastructure but rather the
core library. I mean provide more features.

> Basically I did this talk because I wanted
> to get feedback.
>
> No one seems to have tried
> using the library, and I don't think it can
> be reviewed without that.

Have you used it in your own applications?

At least (correct me if I wrong) I see that it
is mostly useful for 3 things from **end user**
point of view

1. UTF-XX to UTF-YY conversions.
2. Unicode normalization
3. "Character" or Grapheme clusters iteration.

These is a very small subset of things expected
to be in Unicode library.

It is a good base to start
and the provided concepts are very interesting
but I couldn't actually find too many things
from the actually widely used Unicode features.

I looked into it mostly because I was thinking
about your review of Boost.Locale and I was
looking an inspiration of how to possibly
implement text streaming interface for
some algorithms that provide an interface
over icu::CharacterIterator like boundary API.

> There are a lot of things I would like to add,
> but I just can't find the motivation to do this
> if there is no one actually using it -- I personally
> do not have a need for this.

I'm actually very interested in this library
and I can provide some feedback over this list
or personally.

Also I have some things I'd like to discuss
regarding your comments on Boost.Locale.

Artyom Beilis
CppCMS - C++ Web Framework: http://cppcms.sf.net/
CppDB - C++ SQL Connectivity: http://cppcms.sf.net/sql/cppdb/