Subject: Re: [boost] [1.48.0] Proposed Release Schedule
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-13 12:32:37

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Give we are already in the middle of July, I feel strongly 1.48.0
> should target the first Monday in November, thus putting us back on
> our usual quarterly cycle. In our earlier schedule discussion, there
> was some interest in a three times a year release schedule, but the
> arguments were not convincing to me, so I really think we should keep
> to our quarterly schedule.

I would like to again advocate for a release cycle not tied to a specific
frequency. Currently, the time between release n and n+1 is determined
by the time that it takes release n to get cleaned up. In an extreme case
where this time were to stretch to 8 weeks, there wouldn't be any time
between release n and n+1. So I would prefer the release rule to be
release n+1 is 12 weeks after n.

Also, I'm (again) offering the suggestion that the periodic testing be
altered so that a library X on the trunk is tested againts the current
state of the libraries on the release branch (that is the NEXT release).
I believe this would have a number of benefits - including the
streamlining of the release process. It would also speed up the testing
itself since the release branch changes less frequently so there would
be fewer dependencies for each test. This would require a change
in the testing scripts - but not a huge one. FWIW, this is the testing
that I do on my own machine so that it isolates my errors from any
changes do to unknown/unexpected changes in other libaries. So
I know from personal experience that this is an improvement.

Robert Ramey