Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.ntree_container (bi_tree, quad_tree, oct_tree, etc ptr containers) Is there any interest in this?
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-11 14:16:57

Dan Walters wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is my current implementation of an oct tree that I am using on a
> project I am working on. It is a templated oct tree which serves as a
> pointer container. There is usage shown in the main() function at the
> bottom of the sample.
>
> http://codepad.org/yIAblSDN
>
> Please bear in mind it is not fully optimized or std compliant, just put
> together for a project but shows the intended basic functionality and
> method.
>
> Compatibility with boost geometry is a great suggestion. Again, I am
> mindful of defining the boundaries of this library, but if it makes sense
> then template specialization or utility code could be provided to use the
> libraries together easily and elegantly.
>
> k-d trees are very interesting, and if discussion found these potentially
> useful enough, they would certainly belong in the same library.
>
> I think, in any context, this should be thought of as a container library
> above all else and would be potentially useful not just in game or geometry
> programming, but open to use where ever useful, including as a memory
> efficient pointer container for sparsely populated multidimensional arrays.

Hi,

Some time ago I had the same idea. To keep it short - I wasn't the first
one. As far as I know there were a lot of arguing on the list about it
and the community agreed that these types of structures should be a part
of Boost.Geometry. I have in mind spatial indexes/space partitioning
structures.

Maby you don't know but there is already an implementation of a R-tree
in the extensions of Boost.Geometry and the new version, implemented by
me in the https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox-branches/geometry/index/.

Have you implemented fully functional spatial index or a base data
structure (a tree of arrays) which may be at the bottom of e.g. an octree?

I think it's a good idea to start with the Boost.Geometry mailing list.

Regards,
Adam