Subject: Re: [boost] Boost new library policy
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-08 17:41:46

Christof Donat wrote:
> Hi,

>>> Great resource.
>>> Is it intentional the domain redirects to
>>> http://rrsd.com/blincubator.com ?
>>
>> This is a side effect of the fact that I created it as an add-on
>> domain to my
>> main web site. I might be willing to spend months of time working
>> on boost but I draw the line at paying $10/mo for an extra web site.
>
> Can you give some information on the ressources the website needs?
> Eventually I'd be willing to host it and thus sponsor that project.
> Of course that depends on the ammount of ressources that I have to
> expect.

My remark was a little sarcastic. This started out as an experiment.
 I don't have much interest in web site development per se - but it's a
useful thing
to for me to know more about and of course I had ideas about how
to make development of better C++ libraries easier. I was curious to
see how far one could go without re-inventing any wheels. Since I went
through
about 5 experimental approaches, I didn't want to get are "real" url until I
had settled
a real implementation. By now I'm about there - that is I've gotten sucked
into investing enough effort in wordpress development and I'm close enough
to some sort of finish line that I might start thinking about a more
permanent place for this. Also the it's still a big question as wheter this
website will actually be found to be useful to enough people.

I had thought it would be relatively easy to generate something like this.
I managed to get it close to where I want to be BUT it took about four
tries at different toolsets. The final result is word press with about 6
different plugins and a bunch of hacking for for different pages. It's
a revelation to me how crude the whole thing turns out to be. Of course
wordpress hackers love their stuff - but to me the software development
in the last 15 years has been regressing in a big way. Us boosters
stand in the way of progress and shout - ENOUGH.

Anyway the final piece I want to add is to hook up to the google
analytics API so I can add a statistics to the page for each library. It
has
always been a sore spot for me that I can't know how many people
use each particular library in boost. I need this "marketing" information
to get a better handle on what the world is demanding. Soooo if there
are any wordpress/php/google analytics API hackers who want to lend
a hand on this - I'm all ears.

Robert Ramey