Subject: Re: [boost] Losing history (Was: [git] Boost.Build location_
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-28 09:10:51

on Thu Dec 27 2012, Ryo IGARASHI <rigarash-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't, either. Please just 'git clone' pulls ENTIRE HISTORY.
> Less than 100GB of storage is not so huge in (almost) 2013.
> Even the low-end SSD can contain ~128GB.
>
> If the storage really matters, he can always use 'shallow repository',
> using 'git clone --depth N'.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6900103/why-cant-i-push-from-a-shallow-clone
explains that shallow clones do not work very well for everyday use
cases, and are (at best) quite complex to use correctly. We could
conceivably use them as part of automatic testing, *if* we got the
scripts just right. I don't believe it would be a good idea to ask
anyone to use them directly.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training