Subject: Re: [boost] [Conversion] Ready to turn off write access to svn?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-20 08:41:39

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> I had been making some changes to trunk, not release, but I can wait until
> after the Git transition to complete my work. When Boost decides to
> officially make SVN read-only could you post exactly when this is going to
> be done so that I will not try to update SVN after that date/time.

The plan is to add an SVN commit hook that prevents changes. There should
be an associated message pointing to boostorg on GitHub.

> Also once the transition to Git is complete and we should all be using Git
> can you post when that occurs, so I can transiiton to Git.

Right.

The key steps are:

* Closing svn for commits. Of course the svn repo will be preserved for
historical purposes.
* Shutting down the conversion process, so that the boostorg GitHub repos
are no longer being overwritten.
* Opening the boostorg GitHub repos for use.

Each of these steps is preceded by some inspection and testing, and will be
announced on the Boost list.

> Needless to say I hope all the Boost Git experts will try to answer
> questions about the transition if a Git novice like me runs into any
> problems.

For sure:-!

--Beman