Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost dead? [Re: Anyone is interested in being review manager of ‘Application’?]
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-16 19:21:33

Hi,

Sohail Somani wrote:

> Moving to git was a smart decision but my personal experience has
> shown that the current configuration does not encourage forking in a
> way that makes it easy to contribute.
>
> Would anyone know what the rate of incoming patches from outside
> developers has been since the change? That would be an easy way to
> tell if it's just me being lazy (probably is).

I don't understand all of those negative voices. Especially I don't
understand how contributing can be considered difficult or harder than
before.

I'm a contributor at Boost.Geometry and you can believe me or not but
getting involved in the Boost library development was never easier than
it is now. In Geometry we already have > 30 pull requests closed. On
GitHub you can fork one library with one button click, make a change and
create a pull request (with 2 button clicks and writing a message).
Reviewing the code is extremely simple, you can discuss about the code
or make comments about single lines. And working with GIT is a real
pleasure WRT the SVN. But you even don't need to know how to use GIT
since the changes can be made directly on GitHub or you can use their
app on Windows to handle local repos. We have really great tools at hand
so we should use them.

Regards,
Adam