Subject: Re: [boost] Regression tests broken?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-27 12:15:28

>> No need to try anything else. I'll see if I can fix the problem. The option
>>> is a new one I added this week to try and reduce testing hard drive space.
>>>

>> Any progress on this?
>>
>> I can obviously disable things like pre-compiled-headers and fix things
>> that way, but that feels like the wrong fix to me (longer compile times
>> etc).
>>
>> Thanks, John.
>>

> The --remove-test-targets bjam option seems to have shrunk things down a
> bit. I'm not hitting the size limit anymore. It looks like we're down to
> 30GB/compiler from 60GB.
>
> This solved my problem, but if we could have less churn on keeping
> unnecessary object files, tests would run quicker (I believe that they are
> usually disk IO limited, especially on windows). I'm not sure what if any
> other solutions there are to this.

For the time being I've disabled PCH support in Boost.Math when
--remove-test-targets is on the command line. Hopefully we'll actually
get some regression test results now at the expense of even slower build
times.

This is still the wrong fix though: we shouldn't break a documented
feature (PCH) with an undocumented one.

John.