Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 18:26:22

Stephen Kelly-2 wrote
>> d) now when he builds, he finds that he has to download/install the whole
>> serialization library even though it's not calling functions in it.
>
> Boost is monolithic. You get boost.zip and you get all libraries.

It is now - that is what we're trying to address

> Developer has no problem until you decide to modularize (hasn't happened
> yet!) and make modular releases which have dependencies.

Hmmm - I'm not sure who you mean by "you"

> Is that a goal or not?

I can't say I understand what your goal is.

I can say What I believe we want to move toward is the ability for users to
deploy a useful subset of boost in order to support his applications. I
don't
think that's unreasonable or controversial.

My problem is that I don't see the current dependency tools. the way of
using the information provided by these tools, and the conclusions and
proposals
stemming from them as actually moving us toward the above goal.

I've made a more concrete proposal. I believe that some variation of this
could be made to work. I think it addresses the real problems that users
face. In order for it to work, tools have to be improved and/or boost
policies might need to be tweaked (perhaps a "no convenience headers"
policy). There is just no way simply "splitting a library" is going to
really address anything and move us forward.

Robert Ramey