Subject: Re: [boost] [boost, config, context, log, 1.58] address-model and architecture detection
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-04 18:12:25

AMDG

On 04/04/2015 03:53 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> Without docs or examples as to what should happen, it is hard to know
> whether everything is working correctly.
>
> On 64-bit Windows 7, with toolset=gcc, I get:
>
> Performing configuration checks
>
> - 32-bit : no
> - 64-bit : yes
> - arm : no
> - mips1 : no
> - power : no
> - sparc : no
> - x86 : yes
>
> But with toolset=msvc-12.0, I get:
>
> Performing configuration checks
>
> - 32-bit : yes
> - arm : no
> - mips1 : no
> - power : no
> - sparc : no
> - x86 : yes
>
> That seems a bit odd to me.

The configuration output is a bit misleading.
This only indicates that the /default/ architecture
and address-model, now.

> Other questions:
>
> * Should I be able to build both the 32-bit and 64-bit address models in
> the same b2 run?

This has never been possible, and is beyond the
scope of Vladimir's changes. (Note that this
only applies to the top level installation.
Tests have always been able to run with both
32 and 64 bit.)

> * If so, what does the command line look like?
>
> * Should auto-linking work?
>
> * If so, how do the names for the library files differ?

They don't, which is the only reason it fails.

> * How do we tell a test to run against both 32 and 64-bit builds?

b2 address-model=32,64.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe