Subject: Re: [boost] Windows XP support survey
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-07 18:46:15

On 7 May 2015 at 22:31, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > Incidentally, feelings on XP support seem very muted this time round,
> > with everyone agreeing we should drop it after the next Boost
> > release. I admit surprise on the consensus.
>
> That might be too early. I, for one, object to artificially removing support
> for XP, which is what you appear to propose. It's still an OS used by people,
> so it's reasonable for app developers to target it, and having boost.config
> error out on XP will be bad.

No, I'm saying individual libraries can refuse to build on XP if they
choose after support is dropped.

Even if Boost.Build sets _WIN32_WINNT to 0x601 (Win7), it should be
the case that binaries still generally compile and work on XP. If a
library uses a Vista or later API, then the DLL or EXE would refuse
to load. If not, they should work fine.

What I'm suggesting is that notice is given that XP support is now
down to each library maintainer's good wishes, and libraries are
coming which won't support XP, and will never support XP.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/