Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.test failures in develop
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-04 03:58:33

Barend Gehrels <barend <at> xs4all.nl> writes:

> You cannot just drop (if I'm correct it is dropped without even any
> notice) c++03 from your Boost.Test library which is used by many
> libraries which indeed still do support c++03.

IMO anything is dropped automatically as soon as developers do not have
access to the testing environment. IMO, practically, most boost developers
already in a situation where c++03 testing is not easily available or
require unnecessary large effort to maintain (if your code written using
C++11 feature, implementing these in C++03 compatible manner can be rather
time consuming).

At the moment I am looking for possibility to completely disable parts of
the framework in C++03 mode. Sooner or later it will not be possible
anymore (for example, to make UTF thread safe I might need c++11 features
across the board).

> It is still widely used

Do you have any data confirming this?

> and even though it is indeed time to change, that will still take much
time.

Why?

It is just boost community decision: we do not implement c++03 workarounds
in a new code anymore. Old code is still available in older releases.

Gennadiy