Subject: Re: [boost] [nowide] Library Updates and Boost's broken UTF-8 codecvt facet
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-08 08:59:22

> From: Vladimir Prus <vladimir.prus_at_[hidden]>
>On 07-Oct-15 8:37 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Do this !
>>
>> Note the test in the serialization library for the current facet. I don't know if it's useful - it has been in the past.
>> I presume you can either move that test in or supply one that's at least as good.
>>
>>> And than other libraries should replace the broken one by a new one
>>> and remove boost/detail/utf8_codevt* all together.
>>
>> You'll have to give us some warning - maybe skip a release or maybe
>> just use header re-direction.
>
>I would prefer for any such replacement to be still part of boost/detail. Depending on boost.locale just
>to get one header seems not perfect.
>
>- Volodya

The current utf8_codecvt can't be used as is and designed to be "copied"
to specific libraries (with its own namespace)

My codecvt in generic header only one that can and should be used outside
boost specific libraries, i.e. if I want to read/write utf8 file using
std::wfstream
I can install this facet independently of rest of the boost libraries.

Details is just like boost-private namespace.

So isn't best place, on the other hand Unicode facilities is good place,
especially that it is a component independent of entire locale library i.e.
header only part similar to <boost/locale/utf.hpp>

We can create a "Separate" codecvt library with its own formal review and
it would be ready in best case in a year - or just use it in a place
unicode processing belongs to.

Artyom