Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] Boost.UI - a new C++ GUI library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-28 15:20:39

On 9/28/2017 9:20 AM, Kolya Kosenko via Boost wrote:
> On 09/28/2017 03:53 PM, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
>> On 9/28/2017 7:11 AM, Kolya Kosenko via Boost wrote:
>> Here are some suggestions for what needs to be specified in the docs at
>> a general level:
>
> Thanks.
>
>> 1) Some explanation of the major concepts of your library.
>
> This concepts is already described in documentation, isn't it? Is it not
> enough? "Boost.UI is a C++ User Interface Boost library that is
> cross-platform, uses native system-provided widgets, has STL-like and
> Boost-like API, compatible with other Boost libraries and supports
> modern C++11/14/17 features."

That is not an explanation of the major concepts of your library. That's
just a one-line overview.

>> 2) On what Boost libraries does your library depend.
>
> It depends only on Boost.Config library, other libraries could be
> connected for data exchange.
>
>> 3) Level of C++ needed,
>
> It supports C++03/11/14/17 levels.

That does not explain what library constructs support what levels. Are
you telling me that no matter what C++ level I compile your library
with, everything is implemented with the exact same syntax, and works
properly ? If not you need to explain what functionality needs what
level of C++.

>> header files to be included, and namespaces
>> being used,
>
> As described in examples master include file is boost/ui.hpp and
> boost::ui namespace are used.

Examples are not explanations.

>> and possibly on what compilers it has been tested.
>
> I tested it with gcc 5.4.0, clang 3.8.0, msvc 9.0, 14.0.
> I tried to add Boost.UI to blincubator.com, but this site seems broken.
>
> There is no details in documentation because it is just first public
> announce and many things could be changed.

It is precisely the details of what concepts your library implements
that will attract interested end-users.

I do not mean to sound harsh or not be encouraging, but Boost libraries
try to explain what they are about and are not documented only as a list
  of classes and a set of code examples.